OT: Re: Noises through pickups

>I've heard in divers places about adding sonic
>material to loops by playing various things through
>the pickups of a guitar - vibrators, cordless drills,
>etc.  My particular interest is in using cassette
>players; I know that Torn sensei does some of this,
>and I think others on the list have mentioned it.
>Anyone care to share experiences, techniques, caveats
>in this area?
heyhey.
been singing into my pickups for a longlong time--- think i re-started
that
in '87, after a few years hiatus--- but around '93, after i saw this
rockin'
band in minneapolis, 'saucer' --- who split their playing-time twixt
'real'
instruments & kids' toys--- i began employing the microcassette-machines
that
matt chamberlain & wes martin had turned me onto, a few years previous.
microcassette (w/fast forward, fast rewind, pitchcontrols) is a great
tool;
ye can work the transport & pitchcontrols as performance-elements, sweep
the
'speaker' across the pickups for a rhythmic-effect, loop/affect any of it,
etc..... however, i dedicate my right hand to this function, so some
more-'normal' instrumentalists might not respond to theseall techniques.
anyway, the machines are cheap, too!
(.....radios can be fun, also.)
i used a 'vibrator', a few times in the early 80's, but..... ummm.....
didn't
get so much musicality from that; 'twas fun to see the front-row's
reaction,
though.
also: 'personal fans' can be kinda nice, both sonically &, add'ly as a
mechanised-pick/'stringdriver'.
best,
dt / SPLaTTeRCeLL

In stores & online NOW (artist-shop, amazon, tower, cdnow, bn, etc)
SPLaTTeRCeLL:::OAH (full-length CD)

SPLaTTeRCeLL:::ReMiKSiS:::AH
(CD / vinyl; 65 minute EP--- remixes by Charlie Clouser (NiN), Ryuichi
Sakamoto, Dan the Automator, Carter Burwell, Tim
Bowness(NoMan)/SPLaTTeRCeLL,
Yoshihiro Hanno, Fernando Aponte, & Gareth Williams..... & 1 add'l
SPLaTTeRCeLL track)

On CeLLDiviSioN/75Ark: http://www.75ark.com

SPLaTTeRCeLL: http://www.gaalore.com/davidtorn.nsf/Pages/soah
Solid States: http://www.gaalore.com/davidtorn.nsf