OT-fundamentals in sound (was singing bowls)

Lindsay,
Sound is not 'moving air'.
Sound is compression and rarefaction of air.  The difficulty with
creating low frequency sound in air is not that you have to 'move' the
air, but that you have to 'compress' and 'decompress (rarefact)' the
air, at a given frequency.

This is difficult because of the impedance mismatch between a vibrating
object (say a raw unmounted speaker cone) and the air.  That is, they
do not couple well (it is an inefficient transfer of mechanical
movement to compression of air).  Speaker box design helps to 'couple'
the speaker to the air so that the speaker cone movement 'compresses'
the air.
Horn speakers are the highest efficiency because they assist in
coupling the air to the driver movement.  The horn diaphragm can be
small, but if the horn couples the diaphragm to the air well it can
create high spl at low frequencies (with small movement of the cone,
ala Klipsch).  This conversion is more efficient in a horn speaker than
a raw speaker.

These pressure waves in air (we call sound) radiate like the waves
created in a pond when a rock is dropped into still water.  In water
the waves radiate as a widening circle around the point of origin
(until disturbed by objects in the water, or until they dissipate all
their energy).  In air, sound pressure waves radiate and expand
outwardly in spheres of compression and rarefaction radiating from the
point of origin (until disturbed by objects, or until they dissipate
all their energy).

A bowl 20" wide has a circumference of about 62.8".  I don't know how
high your bowl is, but let's say it is 4" high, and let's say it is a
cylinder shape.  So, the surface area of this bowl is about 251 square
inches.  A 15" Loudspeaker has less than 176 square inches.

So, the surface area of a 20" bowl is greater than that of a 15"
Loudspeaker.

I can feel the intense, low freq vibration of these bowls in my hands,
much like I feel the intense vibration of my 15" bass speaker, and like
I feel the intense low freq vibration in gongs that I have.  These
gongs are only about 12" in diameter (about 113 square inches of area).
 These small gongs generate a VERY LARGE, LOUD, LOW Freq sound that I
both hear and FEEL with my skin.

The singing bowls radiating surface is shaped in a cylinder, or in
rounded bowls somewhat spherical (excluding the top and bottom of the
bowl).  This would assist the bowl in efficiently radiating the spheres
of compression and rarefaction we call sound.

With an oscilloscope I will measure the low frequency generated by my
small bowl (~6" diameter) to see if my assertion is correct (that the
bowls truly do generate these low fundamentals that we hear).
bret