Re: Noises through pickups (rather gongs...)

>  >I just dont understand why bowls should not vibrate them?
>
>Yes, the tones are too low for the bowl to physically produce them.  If
>you
>think about it, bass notes are pretty darn large airwaves and therefore
>require pretty darn large instruments to produce them.  At 20Hz, the
>wavelength is 56 feet long.  There's just no way a bowl 20" wide weighing
>eight pounds can move that much air with enough energy to produce the
>tone.
>Imagine how much more difficult it is to move 56 feet of air than, say, a
>mere 2.47 feet for a 440Hz A note.

Usually an instrument has a lowest resonance that depends mainly on
its total size and below that it does not vibrate.

So the question is: why would the bowl produce harmonics of a
frequency that it does not generate? (its possible, I really
wonder...)

Also: your wavelength calculation holds for air, so it calculates
flutes (being that their lenght is 1/4 of the wavelenght if I
remember right)
For a solid material, there are other laws. Just imagine a short
clock pendulum waving at 1Hz...

>  > What did the old cat hear?
>
>Probably the very low and the very high frequencies - he certainly does
>not respond to normal hand claps and name calling!  ("Get off the table,
>Chili, off, off!!" - nope, just doesn't work! :-)

probably the low frequencies, otherwhise it would react to your bsssbsss...

And the lows, it can feel in the body somewhere.
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org