Re: OT Polyphony (was: rant from hell)

>The VG8 was a true breakthrough
>instrument, and Line 6, Johnson Millenium, and Yamaha are all following
>Roland on this.
>
>Roland has a hugely successful marketing arm.   They are simply doing what
>has worked for them in the past.
>
>Rik Elswit

For 20 years, I am waiting (and helping to) the breakthrough of the
polyphonic guitar. When the GTMs came out in '84, I thought the time
had come and invested into polyphonic effects...
Roland must have invested more than earned with it, so far...
Polyphonic pickups are easy, the preamp is not a big deal either, the
only problem is the cable that is more delicate and more expensive.
And its not possible yet to be wireless.
In compensation, the cable brings controlers into the guitar and you
get rid of the battery (or of the sound loss, in case you still send
the pickup signal directly through the wire).
But it takes a better connector than the DIN13, I think.

Gibson proposes GMICS to make it all digital (its on their site)

Isn't that the future of the guitar? How far is it still away?
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org