vortex

re: possible VORTEX problems
1) noise? it's a very quiet pedal, maybe the problem is that it's hard to
turn down
   the output volume (you'd have to change it for each patch) , especially
with the
   presets. Maybe the case is that if you just plug & go you have to turn
the
I/P
   volume down to stop the amp overloading (= extra noise).

2) Phase problems. I can't comment from personal experience (yet) but
   apparently many mixers have a phase inversion on the FX return, which
may
   or may not be the culprit.
   Best to use Vortex as 'in-line' if this is a problem.

3) Boring presets? It's more that many of them are a bit subtle, so yes
they
do
   mostly come across as being similar. They don't begin to show what the
box
is
   capable of .  Actually I don't often find presets acceptable anyway.

4) Hard Manual? well let's call it challenging.

Vortex 'Good Points'
Excellent sound, it even distorts nice when you overload the I/P. Very
tweakable.
Extreme modulation. Infinite repeats without degradation (on some
settings).
The Audio morphing facility lets you set up any 2 sounds and switch or
pedal
seamlessly between them. This can either give you the ultimate in pedal
control
(eg modulation depth & frequency & resonance all at the same time) or
allow
access to the bizarreness  half way between 2 totally different patches.
With a bit of effort some the possibilities are pretty astounding, I
remember
when talk of the Vortex first started on LD. People were pretty knocked
out by
it's ability to create sustained textures

Andy Butler
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/soundfnr/vortex.htm">Lexicon Vortex
Database
</A>