new looping device :)

As part of a gig this weekend, all eight participants had digital cell
phones.  (These were kindly provided by the local Cellular One office.)
I'd
never played around with so many cell phones before and I discovered a
property that other loopers might be interested in.

When I phoned other participants in the same room, I quickly noticed a
significant delay when speaking on the phone.  I didn't measure it but it
was probably 1/2 to 1 second in length.  So I took two phones and held them
in a "69" position :).  This created a feedback loop of about 1 to 2
seconds.  I amplified the set-up with a tiny "tie-clip" style mic and sent
it to the PA.  You could whistle, speak, etc into the phones and generate a
decaying or sustaining signal, depending on how close together you held the
phones.  Quite awkward, but fun!

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com