Re: OT: gate-checking

greetings flyers!

funny how much it varies...
i managed to cram all my 9v pedals + boomerang into
one of those roll-y flight attendant style things for a couple
of trips to the left coast this year.

sometimes you get stopped - sometimes not.
yes, the chip in the boomerang will give the
snooper a bit of a hard on.

i did learn about a magical little item called
the "SPECIAL HANDLING" tag, but they generally
won't give you one if you ask for it. this get
slapped onto bags that are being checked at the gate
rather than at checkin- along with stuff like strollers.

i did have to wonder how "special" the handling would be...

watch out for short legs especially. aircraft like
the increasingly popular "canadair regional jet" have
NO o/h bins! then again... they only seat 48 passengers...
but it goes to show that you can't always count on certain
common amenities... on a leg i flew from newark/columbus
they looked at my roll-yand said "you'll have to check that item",
and then pointed out the window at a plane that was scarcely as big a
suburban!

in the past i've UPS'd a bunch of stuff ahead to the
home or work of an understanding individual at the first
city on the tour, then taken the rest aboard & gone
pot luck on borrowed/rented amps & axes.

which is no way to run an airline, let me tell you.

rbrt