Re: EDP record/mute question

At 11:53 AM -0800 1/10/01, Mike Biffle wrote:
>Just end your record by tapping mute instead of record...
>
>-m

>does anyone know of a way (using the footswitch) to record a loop and
>when finished (tapping record) automatically have it muted. i know
>this can be done using a volume pedal, but i want to avoid that.
>
>i've run into a live situation where this is necessary.

One of the fundamental concepts under the echoplex user interface is that a
function can be ended by starting another. This reduces the amount of
button pushing required and gets you from one place to another much faster.

When a function is running, you can see what other functions are
immediately available because their LED will be green. The function that is
running will have it's LED red.

In some cases you have special functions that are only available when
another function is going. We call these "cross-functions". Whenever such a
thing is available, the LED under that button is orange. This is to
indicate that it does something different in that situation. (For example,
if you have mute on, you will see that the Insert LED is orange. Tapping
Insert from in mute is the trigger and stuttering function instead of
Insert.)  This cross-function thing can seem confusing at first, but it is
really necessary for keeping all of the functions contained in a
realistically playable number of buttons. If everything had it's own button
there would be way too many!

Whenver we can, we make the cross-function button the one that seems most
obvious and intuitive, based on how the normal function relates to the
cross-function. For example, ending a record with the second tap of the
Record button stops recording and immediately starts looping. So what
happens if you have Multiply going and end it by tapping Record? It stops
the multiply and immediately starts looping what you've got up to that
point! (instead of rounding off to the end of the multiple cycle, as would
normally happen with a second multiply press....). This is a fun
cross-function and a simple way to get non-integer multiplies.

Let the LED colors help and guide you.

Green  = normal function available
Red    = function is running
Orange = special function available.