Re: "Perspective/Perception Is Everything"

Hoi!

> I find I'm probably pretty much like you in many respects regarding
wanting to have a naive and fresh approach.

> What I've found interesting though is that a school environment would
>have
provided at least facilities and equipment with which to pursure some of my
musings. Add TIME to that as well and you've got a MAJOR opportunity.
Networking with others motivated enough to dedicate themselves to focusing
on music is an incredible springboard for ongoing relationships in the
music
community at large.

> I believe my sensibilities wouldn't have become too prejudiced in that
environment. Knowing that people like William Winant, Fred Frith, and Leo
Wadada Smith are all professors in major schools; you've got mentors
available who are at the cutting edge of creativity AND invite fresh, new
thoughts.

> Now that I'm an engineer / father / husband / home owner in my late 40's
find it nearly impossible finding the time and energy to build a creative
endeavor at the level it needs to find it's way into the world (although
I'm
confident that I'll slowly continue to build my body of work and document
it
as well as perform). Ah to be young again!

Thanks for your support!  As someone who married a girl who's 47 now, well,
we're not going to have children.  My projects are my children, and I'm an
uncle to 5 already.  Uncle Steve [rolling eyes]  I'm not even sure
sometimes
that I'm supposed to be married, but then I'm not 6 months into THIS.

Actually, I find strengths often in NOT knowing what I "CAN'T" do.  I too
would have benefitted greatly from someone to take me aside and give me a
path this way.  However I find that my lot has always been to have to
figure
it out for myself.  For instance, my music teachers are chequered and far
between:

Age  6: Judged to have an 'ear', took piano along with 1st grade class.
Two
months later, family moves to NJ.
Age  8: Miss Fyma, age 70, teaches me and my brother for 3 months then runs
off with travel agent.
Age 11: Another old one, passes away 2 months into the teaching.
Age 14: Still another elderly teacher, disappears after only a month, never
to return.
Age 16: I stopped this one.  The guy had those big, bulging eyes, quite
            uh, well, he LIKED me... Get it?  That lasted only 3 weeks.
His
            shades were always drawn, and I couldn't stand the way he
looked
at me.
Age 21: This guy was an arranger for Barry Manilow, and brought music that
was
            created by Mozart for teaching children how to play.  Three
months into it,
            he and his companion get invited to go on tour with Barry
Manilow.  End of that.

Similarly, noone has ever been able to complete even a remote tarot reading
for me.  It would seem that some things are supposed to be a certain way
sometimes...!  Well, tomorrow I take the train up north to a firm that
consults out graphics/illustration people (see
http://www.earthlight.net/Gallery.html) - wish me luck, as nothing else has
happened despite 20 years in the PC biz... Perhaps this is the final jump
into the Creative Life, eh?

Stephen Goodman
http://www.earthlight.net/Studios * The free Loop of the Week!
http://www.mp3.com/StephenGoodman * New MP3 Releases!