RE: "Perspective/Perception Is Nothing" (long)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Jonathan@full-moon.com wrote:

> > Creativity can never be taught or learned, it's a gift, it's
> > natural....you can learn and be taught techniques and institutions but
> > never on "how" to be creative.
>
> I disagree. It can certainly be untaught. However, it is taught rarely,
>and
> rarely well. Creativity is a lot of things, never the same from one
>project
> to another, and never the same from one moment to the next of a project.

Creativity is the ability to create, nothing more nothing less. This
ability can not be taught. It can be refined and focused but never taught.

> But that's beside the point. You don't necessarily go to teachers to
>learn
> how to be 'creative'

Then what are you arguing??

> Since you are generally recombining objects and concept that you have
> already explored, you must be doing some things you have done before,
>and,
> almost all the time, things someone else has done before.

This isn't creativity, this is retention.

> You are making excuses for bad habits.

What bad habits? I was making a simple point that I want to approach music
with fresh eyes, not tainted by fundamental musical ideas and approaches.

> Rather, habits that you feel aren't conducive to what you are trying to
> accomplish. If you've tried to get round this on your own, and haven't
>then
> perhaps you should talk to someone else, who has. Hell, even if they
> haven't actually dealt with the specific issues that you are
>experiencing,
> they might still be able to suggest things which help you overcome it;
>it's
> called teaching.

People I know who have music degrees or are going to music school aren't
all that creative, they can play their respective instruments with much
skill and mastery but they ultimately rely on fundamental approaches and
sort of "mimic" their teachers. I want to escape that kind of approach to
music, I want to approach it as a spiritual tool and completely rely on
the tone that is coming out of the speakers instead of the rules of music.

> I heartily disagree; opinions are what one forms when you don't have
> sufficient information to answer a question.

So there is a "right" way to play music? I don't really think it's
anybodys place to tell me how I should approach the expression of myself.

> The only real questions that
> don't have a right or wrong answer are illogical either by intent, such
>as
> Zen Koans, or because the question doesn't take into account the
>complete
> nature of the fact in question

If it is fact then it can't be in question, can it?

--
travis salisbury
http://www.illuminetdesign.com