Re: Repeater spotted!

Howdy folks,

Cliff and I went to the Namm show together, and headed for the
Electrix booth first thing.  I just had to see if they had a
functioning unit there to get my hands on.  here's the lowdown from
our short excursion into Repeaterland:

Yes, it is pre-beta software.  By self admission, they are not
releasing until March.  The demo guy was pretty up front about this,
and obviously a little upset that he had to demo a machine that was
still buggy, and not fully functional.  I was a little upset that
Damon was not very forthcoming about this info on the list,
especially since there is a group buy formed.  Power supply?
bullshit...The demo guy said "We totally underestimated the
complexity of this machine".  On the positive side, All of the boxes
are sitting in their warehouses, fully built and ready to go, they
just need to finalize the software, load it in via the CFC cards and
off they go.

so...march then...maybe.

other than that, the state the box was in was:

Only one loop was active, and only two tracks of that one loop were
available.  BUT...even with that and bugs...this unit is FUN!!!!!!!

They had a demo setup with a guitar into POD into the Repeater.  I
layed a volume swelled pad/drone on track 1, then switched to track 2
to lay in a more percussive riff.  Now, these are seperate!  Yay!
two loops going simultaneously.  hit the pitch button, engage track
one and alter the pitch of track one up an octave.  Pitch is shown on
the front panel in semitones.

This was a new one for me...I thought that you could change the pitch
or time on a loop, but that all four tracks would be affected.  Not
so, to my delight.  Wow.  four independent tracks!  On just one loop!
well, not quite...there's only two active tracks on the pre-beta
software at this point.

Now i hit the pan button, engaged track 1 and shifted track 1 to hard
left.  engage track 2 and panned it hard right.  Zowee!  Then i
engaged track 1 and track 2 and then started twisting the pan around.
Wow.  the two loops started fluctuating around in the stereo field.
Did this mangling for about 20 seconds before i freaked out the
software and it got stuck.  oops.  reboot.

The time stretching is quite dramatic.  I originally recorded at 120
bpm, and you can go down to like, 4 bpm, which introduced possibly
interesting artifacts, especially if post-processed.  think fat boy
slim, here...

One of the more interesting things i saw in the demo they did was
that the pitch shifting can be preprogrammed, so when you lay that
guitar riff in, what comes out on the first playback of the loop IS
PITCHSHIFTED.  cool.  you don't have to wait for playback and then
adjust pitch.

there is more to the box, even in it's current state.  i am going
back on saturday and maybe sunday, so if anyone has very specific
questions of something i can try out for ya, let me know.  i will not
ask them anything about ship dates and such, since i don't really
feel like grilling Damon and the rest on behalf of LD.  i'm sure he
will hear enough of it from the list.

seeya!

rich