My first EDP question !!!

Well, I *am* having fun with the new Echoplex.  And so far (operating at
"beginners level" <g>) the interface seems intuitive :)  There is one
thing that has me stumped, however.  The "undo" button is not doing what
I expect, based on my interpretation of the manual, when overdubbing.

My experiments have been on single-cycle overdubs (with great care not
to run into a 2nd cycle) on short loops (10 secs or so).  I have the
impression that hitting undo should erase the current overdub and turn
off overdub mode.  What I'm finding is that the first time I hit undo
(short press), it erases everything recorded up to that point in the
current overdub, but I'm still in overdub mode.  Anything played after
pressing "undo" is added to the current recording.  If I hit "overdub"
(after hitting undo and then playing a bit more) before the cycle ends,
I'll hear just the material played after the undo.  A long press of undo
will remove the overdub.  Once I've done that (removed an overdub), if I
execute the same sequence of events (overdub, playing, undo, playing,
overdub again, all within a single cycle) I get the complete overdub,
with no erasure at all.

This doesn't seem to jibe with the manual; can someone explain this to
me?

Thanks much,
Elby