re: syncing non-midi devices to midi gear

One thing that I've been able to do with the Line 6 Modeler is record a one
to four bar stretch of a song and then use the function that lets you
trigger the sample only once (2nd button from the right of the pedal) and
then manually trigger the 'loop'.  You can even keep the loop in looping
mode and occasionally retrigger with that button if the loop starts to
drift. This however, necessitates that you hit the loop button (2nd from
left) on the downbeat of the next measure because the retrigger button will
only fire the sample once.

Alternately, I send my 2 line 6 pedals into one of my 3 jammans and merely
rerecord the loop.
The fidelity of the Line 6 pedal is so vastly superior to the jamman (and
discernably superior to the echoplex) that you will experience a
degradation
of the loop.   Since I'm seriously into
degradation this is an uplifting experience.    No,   seriously,  in a
recording studio this will not cut it , but I'm amazed at how it passes
muster in a live situation.

Also, my good friend Max Valentino (who just did a beautiful set at our
world's first Solo Bass Looping Festival (more on the later when I have
recovered from that wonderful experience) hipped me to the fact that Radio
Shack carries certified (I think that's the word he used) power supplies
that are noticeably quieter than the ones' the Lexicon supplies for the
Jamman.
He also says that by using only monster cable (or the equivalent) that he
has noticed a significant
reduction in noise from these beloved but antiquated beasts.   I'm going to
do it.
The absolutely pristine sound coming out of both his and Steve Lawson's rig
(who, by the way, is the most flawless live looper I have ever seen!!!!!!
He
has mastered the art of playing his first loop and IMMEDIATELY playing his
second part as he hit the loop completion button-----I have my work cut out
for me ;-)  His sound was brilliant and he really had a command of preset
verbs and effects that would kick into each loop that he added, causing a
beautiful 3 dimensional quality to his playing)

Rick Walker  (loop.pool)