Re: Answering Matthias' letter and a quip from BASS LOOPISTMax Valentino of Tehachipi, California

> In the U.S. (and I really don't want to appear to be culturally myopic,
>but here is where I live) there is so little support for the 'new' and
>creative. Consequently, I've decided to dedicate the rest of my life to
>both my art and to being a 'cheerleader' for other peoples' art,  merely
>because not many people seem to be doing it.

Yep... No support from all the common conduits. But witness the large
amount of looped music coming out of the film industry. The soundtrack for
"Traffic" is predominately loop and electronic oriented with David Torn
playing a large role in that score. Dunno if he's the main composer, but
he's EVERYWHERE. There are credits for Eno, Michael Brook and many
others... Now to get some work in THAT field?.. Hmmm.

> My other little incentive is that I don't want to be artistically
>'lonely'. I crave a community and anyone who was at this festival could
>feel the palpable sense of an emerging community. It was such a privilige
>to be in the company of these four very creative pioneering artists.

I'm in that camp also, as selfish as it may sound... I want to build a
community of peers who know the language we're speaking here. It's pretty
lonely when people go into drool 'n daydream mode when presented with
dialog about our art. I want COMMUNITY...

There's been a HUGE thread about promotion, professionalism, gender
representation and growth of a "scene" on the ba-newmuse mailing list
which has been amazing (as well as contentious). And it's great to see
Santa Cruz and surrounding areas coming together to support and raise the
level of our little experimental scene. (I use this term inclusively to
describe all aspects of creative / avant / electronic etc.) It's
reassuring to know that there is a large body of musicians out there who
are dedicated to continuing making music despite the economic adversity.
If there's a way for us to play publicly and hear each other as well as
grow (AND break even hopefully) I'm sure we'll continue to grow and
inspire each other. That's what it really all about isn't it?

Best,
-Miko