Best location in signal chain for Looping?

I am new to looping and have looked through the loopers-delight site
trying to find out the following:

For a live rig, what is the best place in the signal chain to place a
looper?  For example, I bring all my synths and mics into a single small
mixer which I then use to create a monitor mix for myself and I send a
mixed signal (stereo or mono, depending on the venue) to the house
system.  Currently I have my effects processor (Lexicon MPX1) on my aux
1 & 2 bus (for stereo) but I am not sure how this would work with a
looper (whether its an EDP, Jamman, or Repeater).  Should the signal
going into the looper be dry and then you apply effects to the whole
layered sound?  What if I want to just have a freeze type of delay that
is longer than the 2 sec. max offered by the MPX1 (ie, the looper could
do this)?  I would like to keep the signal as clean as possible so that
the delays are creating delays for themselves and making a big mess.
Finally, other than some of the suggestions on the tips and tricks page,
is there anywhere I can learn more about what I can do with a looper in
a live performance so that I am not just laying down drone after drone
to underscore a lead sound?

Thanks,

Steve