Re: Integrity of Performance and the Sample

Bill said:

>Carry the minimum amount of gear to save your back.  Makes setup and
>tear down a snap and the gig will be much more pleasant for you.  If
>you're having fun or sweating bullets, the audience will pick up on
>your condition and respond
>accordingly.  And bring a looper just for fun!

Thats my style, too. All has to fit in the trunk of the car
(including a pair of Tannoys). There is only the guitar and a little
drum machine.
Bass is done with Octividing (Polysubbass) or pitch shifting.
Percussive sounds on the guitar as well.
If thats not enough, use a GuitarToMIDI.
Use voice and whistling and small stuff on one mic.
(I had a small mic that made a great kick sound when I hit it :-)
And an electric ClayPot for drumming!

A friend of mine has given up shows because he needs a truck for all
his expanders (some just for one specific sound) and mixers and his
studio is only acessible through a spiral stairs (the worst way to
use spirals :-)... so sad...

I could never use prerecorded things. Even the drum programms hurt me.

I recently saw me typing in a converation with Claudio Nucci:

>Ao vivo eh que a gente ve quem eh quem.....

:-) Sim, ai sai musica, gravacao so serve para lembrar ou criar
espectativas :-)

[ live we see who is who...
:-) Yes, then music comes. Recording only serves to remember or to
create expectations. ]

Quality may not depend on how much prerecorded material sounds on
stage, but on how much freedom and time is left for the player to
channel and express...

Gary said:
>The very biggest reason I got into using electronics is that I can
>generate
>accompaniment without the inconvenience of rehearsing/paying other fellow
>musicians.

Nothing wrong with it, partners bodies need ressources and their
minds may interfere with what we want to do, but we have to be aware
that we loose their souls power.
Even a percussionist that just hits the triangle constantely brings
some essence to stage, I can feel that a lot on concerts here.
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org