Re: Turn All That S**t Off

>And most just don't care, as long as the show sounds like the CD.
>They have come to expect a live performance to be exactly like a
>recorded one

A friend of mine has a long lasting complaint that we converse about
occasionally.  We are reminiscing about a Helmet show, right between
the 'strap it on' and 'meantime' records (91'ish?).  I enjoyed the
show immensely, but he was very dissapointed, saying that the band
was so damn tight, that they sounded just like the record...so why be
there?  he says he just should have gone home and played the
disc...and i was blown over by how damn rock solid they were.  didn't
sound just like the record to me...just tight as hell.

all this from a band with just two guitars, bass and drums.  i think
that's why some pop/dance artists use the backing track stuff.  if
the audience buys in, they look all that much more tight and with it.
especially all that n'sync and brittany stuff.  although the
choreography is devastatingly easy and simple (i've seen alot of
professional dance in the last 8 years...), there is no way 5 guys
are going to dance and jerk about like they do while keeping their
breath and pitch under control, and still look 'hot' to boot.  Unless
they've got some Antares Auto-tunes running behind the scenes...and
the engineer has the keys/scales all loaded in beforehand...

rich