Field Recordings? How about an mp3 page?

Hey everyone,

You may remember me posting about a CD compilation of music made from
field
recordings. Yes, that's still on, and no, there aren't any new spaces
available on it. I do have an idea that might be fruitful for some of you
sonic adventurers though.

All of a sudden I can't get enough of the stuff, and I'm looking to build
some sort of internet resource where people can listen to all sorts of
music
tracks built from field recordings (via streaming mp3). The easiest way to
do this would be through mp3.com, since they have a nice streaming mp3
system, and don't impose a limit on the amount of space you get.

So, here's what I'm going to do, if the interest is there. I'll create an
mp3.com artist named "Field Recordings". This way, anybody who does not
already have their field recording tracks already posted on mp3.com can
post
it to this page, or get the track to me somehow (by posting it online or
mailing it to me) and I'll post it to the page. The tracks will have both
the artist's name and the song title listed as the title. (See
www.mp3.com/sourceproduct for an example of this.) Artists can write
whatever they want about the track and it will be available by clicking on
link called "song story". Hopefully, the location (as in city, country)
where the sounds were recorded will be submitted by each artist.

The best thing about this is ALL ARTISTS WHO ARE INTERESTED CAN POST
TRACKS.
With CD compilations, there's a limited amount of space, but with online
mp3
compilations, you can just keep adding and adding (especially since the
mp3's go on their hard drives - not mine).

I am going to be strict about this in that all the music in your recording
must be made from field recordings, and you can't play real instruments in
your track. You can't record your own music blaring from a stereo either.
Other than that, the other rules I applied for the sake of the CD
compilation (time limits, not having 2 people from the same city,
submission
dates, & photos) do NOT apply to this.

Mp3.com itself has 2 rules that I can think of right now. One is that you
can't have copyrighted material in your submissions. I think copyright
infringers will know how to alter their material enough for that one. The
second is that your submissions have to be under 20MB, and must be encoded
at 128kbps, 44.1mHz, stereo.

Email me for more information, or just instruct me to post it to Loopers
Delight. (My posts on collaborative efforts tend to be huge, and I'm
trying
to keep the tiny details out of this one to benefit people with slow
modems.)

One last thing: This is easy to do, and doesn't cost anything! If you want
to build a themed "compilation page" on mp3.com or another mp3 site, do
it!
It will be like having a free music festival, only people can find it
online, and it will constantly grow! I'll be happy to answer questions
about
how to do it.

Okay, another thing: No, I don't work for mp3.com. I just think that their
resources can be put to good use for us.

Happy looping,

Matt Davignon