Midi Footcontrol Problem

Can anyone help?
I'm using a Yamaha MFC10 midi-foot controller with my JamMan,
and I'm getting a delay that's making tapping in loops
a bit impractical ( about a twentieth of a second )
So what I need to know is
1) is it caused by the controller, which means I can think about
replacing it.
2) is it caused by the JamMan's Midi implementation, in which
case I'll stick with the lex footswitch
3) is this just an example of the limitayaions of midi.
I can still record an in time loop as the delay is the same on both taps,
but some things I want to do just won't work.

Any advice/info gratefully accepted

Andy Butler