Very Large Array

Imagine 100 independent looping samples arrayed in a matrix in the middle
of a vast expanse of nothingness...

This was successfully attempted several times by my friend and housemate
Aaron in his "Very Large Array" (not to be confused with the array of
radio telescopes by the same name in New Mexico).

http://www.antfarm.org/~aaronf/vla.html

I thought it might be an amusing little tidbit for this list.  I just
realized today the significance of what he'd done in the context of looped
music and art.  However he's quick to point out:

"The VLA is certainly loopy in the core, though I don't think that this
was evident to the listener.  Lack of structure of the sound samples,
long loop times (< 60 seconds, though) and interference from
neighboring uncorrelated loops all worked to hide periodicity."

He's so modest...it was phenomenal.  Each unit in the array was clearly
looping, if you paid attention.

-trey