Re: Acoustic/Koto with Paper Clips and other tips for PREPARING LOOPABLE INSTRUMENTS

Rick and others-
  I've tried a few things with my acoustic setup that you might like to
try:
  A really neat effect I first heard out of Stanton Moore (drummer for
galactic, and solo artist (who uses a boomerang live by the way))  who got
it from someone who I can't remember.  Get a piece of plastic flexible
tubing and fit it airtight into a drum.  Then play the drum while
blowing/sucking into the tube.  You can get a really cool realtime pitch
shift by altering the pressure in the drum.  This seems to work best on my
floor tom.  One of these days I'm going to try rigging up a
footpedal/piston
arrangement to control the pressure in the drum.  I have also heard
Stanton
playing with toilet brushes, which is a really cool effect that I haven't
tried yet.
  Also I was experimenting with placing splash cymbals on my drums and
playing them.  If the drum is tuned just right for the cymbal, you can get
some really cool sympathetic vibrations with incredible sustain.  I've had
the best luck putting the cymbal upside down and holding the center of it
on
the drum with one hand.  Of course by pushing it down harder, you can
change
the pitch of the drum to match the cymbal.  Play either the drum or the
cymbal.
  Try a cross-stick rimshot on your floor tom.  Now move the stick closer
or
futher from the rim to change the pitch of the rimshot.  This is a neat
one!
  I've also had luck doing this on some of my snares.
  If you tighten the heck out of the snares you can get a cool effect by
engaging the snare lever just as you hit the drum.  Kind of a pitch bend
at
the end of the hit as the snares engage the bottom head and bring its
pitch
up.
  You can get a buzzing sound out of your drum by loosely dangling one
stick
perpendicular to the head right in the center of the drum. then hit the
drum.  This one takes some practice...
  Also try rubber bouncy balls scraped on the heads of your drums.  I once
saw Tuttie Heath play with mallets with bouncy balls on the ends and he
did
this really cool scraping/bouncing sound on the toms which had a very
wierd
effect.  I've never been able to replicate his sounds, but I've come up
with
some good ones.
  I'd love to hear about other effects from other people!
bye-
Jon