Re: tempo considerations: answer to Miko B

> I could be mistaken, Miko, but I think the Batteries got that trick form
>the Ramones who actually would count,  "one, two, three, four" at a
>blazing speed and start one of their fast songs.  They would do this five
>songs in a row at exactly the same tempo and on the sixth song would give
>the same fast count and play a really slow, dredgey song, PERFECTLY in
>tempo.   It was a hilarious and extremely well rehearsed piece of theater.

You're probably right on that Rick... I just loved Tony and give him major
credit for making the scene so damn much fun back then.

> About the Batteries.   They did their very first gig opening for Tao
>Chemical (my band at the time that was starting to be pretty successful,
>regionally).   On their first gig, they tore it up and were soooooo tight
>it was astonishing to me (we had learned to play by practically writing
>songs in public performance).   I learned later that the genius behind
>the band (and the autocratic leader) Tony Canipe  had made them rehearse,
>religiously several times a week for an entire year before he would let
>them play in public.   I heard that it made band members grumble at the
>time but their debut was so damn impressive that they very quickly
>developed a rabid local
following.   I miss them!!!!

I got to play with Tony a few times, and have to say it was so fun... he's
such a loose cannon.

> There is something to say about really having your proverbial shit
>together when you perform. Steve Lawson impressed the hell out of me with
>his command of his gear the
fluidity with which he changed 'parts' as he looped during the recent Solo
Bass Looping Festival.

The music doesn't necessarily have to be canned... but knowing your gear
and being prepared to really use it does. I'm still kicking myself for
missing that show! Dimmit!!!

> ...........and...............a Welsh looping festival.................go
>Gareth!!!!!!    I only wish I was independently wealthy so that I could
>trot around the world and perform at these exciting
new events!!!!

I second that... Go Gareth!!!

It might make sense to plan a 3 or 4 day weekend in the future visiting
Texas, (Jimmy George and Bobdog land) or Philly-DC sorta area, where
Michael K. and a number of other loopers live... and get things planned.
We could probably have our gear very carefully packaged here where I work
in the supremo shipping department, and have it arrive at our first
stop... rent a van and play 3 times... then pack it back into the crate
and ship it all back.

Food for thought...
-Miko