Re: New Music

I am but a lowly guitar player, seeking to please others with my music, but
occasionally (and having the right tools helps) I play things which others
might consider "out" . . . Certainly in my last band my incorporation of
"unauthorized" musical artifacts was considered "inappropriate".  But ya
know . . .
I raised hell over Anna and Stig's musical mayhem, and it really WASN'T my
cup of tea.  The Scot Ray gig, OTOH, was right up my alley.  During their
performance, there were times when each player was generating audio which
did not directly reference the other players' performances, and even though
there were charts and they were using them, I suspect that those moments
were largely improvised.  Gosh, that makes it "new music''--they were
creating it on the spot!
But by and large, I would call this a "jazz gig".  Several of the grooves
were pure funk and the band swung it's ass off.  The stuff that was "out"
was followed by resolution of one form or another.
I like labels, but they are for the listener and the suits marketing the
stuff.  "Progressive", yes, "Modern", OK, "New", I'll buy it . . .  It
doesn't matter what you call it, this was great stuff.  I suspect there is
market for what I heard Sunday night, if it can find the listeners.  I
wouldn't call it "out", though--don't scare anybody off. ;^)
Gary