Re: audience for 'out' music = derivitative of jazz

>keith mckenney wrote:
>
>> I think a lot of kids come to "creative" music via Sonic Youth &
>> out-rockers, at least my circle did.
>
>Something that occured to me when this thread started is that Thurston
>Moore and Lee Ranaldo (and I believe Michael Gira as well) spent time in
>Glenn Branca's ensembles in the early '80s prior to forming Sonic Youth
>(and Swans, in Gira's case).  So the cross-breeding bbetween academic
>new music and rock  goes way back, though it really seems to have come
>to a head over the last few years.

And goes back even earlier than that. John Cale, before joining the Velvet
Underground, was a member of LaMonte Young's circle.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org
New & Improv Media
http://www.newandimprov.com
Now available: Admiral Twinkle Devil: Wabi Dub