Re: audience for 'out' music = derivitative of jazz

From: "rich" <rich@nuvisionsca.com>

> Nice thoughts Andre...
>
> >Something that occured to me when this thread started is that Thurston
> >Moore and Lee Ranaldo (and I believe Michael Gira as well) spent time in
> >Glenn Branca's ensembles in the early '80s prior to forming Sonic Youth
> >(and Swans, in Gira's case).  So the cross-breeding bbetween academic
> >new music and rock  goes way back, though it really seems to have come
> >to a head over the last few years.
>
> I haven't taken the time to investigate Branca, but he sure seemed to
> have tapped into the NY noise/experimental scene for his big guitar
> ensembles.  Page Hamilton of Helmet was also a contributor, if i
> remember correctly.

Was waiting for someone to mention Page Hamilton. Who is actually a
Julliard
graduate....in jazz. Helmet at their best, were an amazing band. Slabs of
guitars like concrete. Last word on Page was that he was filling in for
Reeves Gabrels in Bowie's band.

Simon
Ulcerate - alternative/industrial music to inspire and conspire
http://mp3.com/ulcerate - streaming & downloadable mp3 evidence