From: "keith mckenney" <unkied@yahoo.com>
To: "'Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com'"
<loopers-delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 7:29 PM
Subject: audience for 'out' music = derivitative of jazz

> want to get my 2cents in regarding this lovely topic:
>

> I think a lot of kids come to "creative" music via Sonic Youth
& out-rockers, at least my circle did.   Being the only band on
a major label in the early 90's that sounded absolutely like
nothing else on the radio (and being label-mates
w/Nirvana)--made them the most accesible link to the
'underground' & outsider music. Though this may not be the most
academic/noble path, I think it is just as valid. Acessability.
Both of the music and the history...What w/the web and
all...publications like AMG, Noise From the Underground make it
a lot easier if you're looking. It's easy to assume that the
younger crowd (my age, 25 and younger?) isn't versed in the
origins, etc...but not necessarily true. . And I'm not sure how
much that matters in experiencing the music.

> This acessability has yielded larger audiences I think. When I
lived in LA area it seemed like every show featuring Nels had an
larger and larger group of spectators...(he's a hero to kids
like me)though, I think he is known 'cause of his work w/T.
Moore and Geraldine Fibbers (not to say he is undeserving of the
attention). Here in Seattle, the annual Improv Festival has a
few shows that sell out. Zorn fills huge formal concert halls
when he comes through town. There is a growing acceptance. And
we see the influence of 100+ years of non-traditional,
challenging music everywhere...in a "post-rock", post-Beck/Sonic
Youth world, a lot of kids may take for granted the ability to
make what ever kind of music/sounds/noise they want and actually
find an audience. A lot may not know the history and pump out
undisciplined or cliche stuff, but I am thankful we all have
that opportunity.

> And there was the question 'is it all derivitive of jazz'. If
you've never heard Ornette or Coltrane, how can it influence
you? And besides, we can thank Cage, (thanks for mentioning him
earlier) and countless others, for freeing up the palet of
sound. He himself didn't seem to have much respect for free
jazz. I see at least three lineages--One of Jazz, one of 'New
Music' & avant-garde composition (i.e. serious/formal musics),
one of rock/pop. Rock can be argued I guess.

> So, but anyway, my point is, we can make what ever audible
phenomenon we want, using whatever we can find, w/o any
knowledge of why we can, or what came before that it may bear
resemblance to AND captivate an audience and maybe even sell
records! I think it's important to keep faith in those younger
than us (however old you are) for they are the heirs of this old
New Free Music and the future of creative sound formation.