Re: audience for 'out' music = derivitative of jazz

At 9:40 PM 2/20/01, David Beardsley wrote:

>> And goes back even earlier than that. John Cale, before joining the
>Velvet
>> Underground, was a member of LaMonte Young's circle.
>
>That's spelled La Monte.

Sorry, I was using the Wire issue #178, December 1998, as a reference. In
this issue, both on the cover and throughout the interview ("Dream
Encounters', by Mark Webber, pp35-45), it's consistantly spelled without a
space. Perhaps you should contact them as well.

Spelling issues aside:

>John Cale was an academic who crossed over into rock. I don't have
>the Wire interview handy, but he was in NYC on a grant as a student
>(I think). He started playing with La Monte in the Theatre of Eternal
>music and later joined the rock band the Velvet Underground.
>
>La Monte has never had any kind of academic affiliation after
>graduating university, existing on grants and patrons - as far as I
>know.

Perhaps "academic" is the wrong term to use (and you may note that I didn't
use the term, it was Andre), but I feel Young definitely exists in the
classical composer contuum, moreso than, say, pop, or jazz. In all the
interviews I've read, he asserts the primacy of his compositions. He is an
academy-trained composer (LA City College and UCLA, studies with Schoenberg
disciple Leonard Stein, scholarships to Darmstadt, etc).

I was merely attempting to point out that the crossover between the
"classical" avant-garde and the "rock" avant-garde has a precedent that
goes back at least to the '60's.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org
New & Improv Media
http://www.newandimprov.com
Now available: Admiral Twinkle Devil: Wabi Dub