Re: audience for 'out' music = derivitative of jazz

At 10:51 AM -0800 2/21/01, Dave Trenkel wrote:

>Perhaps "academic" is the wrong term to use (and you may note that I
>didn't
>use the term, it was Andre), but I feel Young definitely exists in the
>classical composer contuum, moreso than, say, pop, or jazz. In all the
>interviews I've read, he asserts the primacy of his compositions. He is an
>academy-trained composer (LA City College and UCLA, studies with
>Schoenberg
>disciple Leonard Stein, scholarships to Darmstadt, etc).

Young was also a jazz sax player in his early years, as was Terry Riley.

Richard Zvonar, PhD                     zvonar@zvonar.com
(818) 788-2202 voice                    zvonar@LCSaudio.com
(818) 788-2203 fax                      zvonar@well.com

                 http://www.zvonar.com