Terry Riley (was Re: audience for 'out' music = derivitative of jazz)

Richard Zvonar wrote:

> At 3:42 PM -0500 2/21/01, David Beardsley wrote:
>
> >La Monte - yes, but Terry Riley only played sax for the Poppy
> >Nogood piece. He told me he quit because playing three instruments
> >was too much and he wanted to dedicate his time to piano and singing.
>
> You're right. Terry's jazz playing was on piano. His picked up
> soprano sax briefly in 1966.

Well...I think "briefly" isn't fair to Terry. Obviously
he was still playing it in '67 and at least '69. One CD of
You're No Good (organ of Corti 5) was recorded live in November '67
and A Rainbow in Curved Air (CBS) came out in '69.

He also played sax on The Church of Anthrax with John Cale (CBS) '70.
And on one of these two: Happy Ending (Waner Bros.) '72 or
Le Secret de la Vie (Phillips) '74 (my turntable isn't working
so I can't check).

Another reason he stopped sax was because his guru, Pandit Pran
Nath didn't want his singing students to play saxophone because
the embouchure was bad for singing technique.

BTW: the live concert on You're No Good is amazing. An hour of
soprano saxophone and time-lag accumulator. The other cd is
dj turntable jockey stuff with an obscure R&B record through
the time-lag accumulator clocking in at about 20 min. I've
only listened to that disk a few times (twice???)

nada brahma,
db
--
* D a v i d         B e a r d s l e y
* 49/32  R a d i o "all microtonal, all the time"