Re: out

What do you mean by out?  --How one has heard it used?  --How I might use
it?

Some people mean, "Hey man, you forget the changes?"

For me, I'd use it in the use context as reference to doing something not
within some imagined form, doing something other or beyond a set of
expectations.  Going out would refer to a subtle bending or undermining of
the rules governing these expectations, e.g. chord changes, so that one
begins with something and takes it entirely elsewhere.  All jazz, to some
degree, goes out, further the more rules it breaks.

I haven't ever heard it applied to music composition, perhaps because of
the illusion that each written work is original.

Schoenburg (both his composition and other writings) would be a prime
example of somebody codifying "music" by what I mean by "rules."