clock problems & questions: JamMan, MPX-1, MOTU MIDI Express XT

Hey Loopers,
1.) Question about MIDI on the JamMan:
Is there any point to hooking up the MIDI out from the JamMan to my MIDI
interface, if my main use will be sending midi clock to it from a
sequencer?
The manual is very superficial and seems to indicate the MIDI out is pretty
much to send clock from the JamMan (as the master) to a sequencer or drum
machine slaving to it, or sending MIDI commands through to daisy chained
devices.  In other words, is there any use to connecting MIDI In *and* Out,
in a "star" MIDI configuration?

2.) I'm having MIDI clock timing problems.  My set-up includes a Mac Beige
G3 and MOTU MIDI Express XT interface.  Neither the JamMan nor a Lexicon
MPX-1 are locking accurately when I send MIDI clock to them from Cubase
VST/24 4.1 r2 or Protools LE 5.0.1.  For example, if I send clock at 120
bpm, the MPX-1 seems to receive the clock but is way off, approximately
twice the tempo, but not even precisely.  Similarly the JamMan seems to be
getting clock, but not in synch.  Because the problem happens with both
Cubase and Protools, I wonder if it might be the interface.  Anyone had
this
issue with the Express XT?

thanks for any suggestions, Ben
SF CA