Repeater concepts

Damon,

going through the 0.8 manual again, I thought about some
concepts/ideas/improvements with regard to Repeater. Perhaps you could
consider them for inclusion (in a later software release) or tell me why
this won't work/isn't implemented ?

1. Logic of the File System

As I got it, the repeater's file system is based on loops (each with its
own
subdirectory), which you can select, and then each loop contains up to four
tracks (independent wav files). What I'd prefer would be something like one
big directory containing the tracks (1-999 or whatever), and then the
different loops which reference the tracks in the tracks dir with
shortcuts/links or whatever it's called on these media cards. This way, you
could select another track out of the looppool on your card on the fly and
include it into the running loop.

2. MIDI control

The concept for MIDI control as outlined in the 0.8 version is in my eyes a
little bit unflexible. 1) you can't use program change messages to control
the Repeater. Doing so would allow a user using say the simple Boss FC-50
foot controller to use the program change buttons to select tracks and then
use the externally controlled footswitches (sending CCs) to
start/stop/record/whatever. Or, weirder still, you could use (also
implementing the concept mentioned above) the program changes to select
tracks (everything configurable).

And MIDI note messages: again, based on the track concept mentioned above,
MIDI note on/off messages could be configured to load/play a certain track
in a defined track position in your running loop. I.e. MIDI notes 1-32
would
load tracks 1-32 into the first track in the loop, and so on with the
remaining MIDI notes for the remaining tracks in the loop. Configurable,
MIDI note on to start, MIDI note off to stop the track, or MIDI note on as
on/off toggle. MIDI velocity (or polyphonic aftertouch) could control the
volume level for the corresponding track.  And, of course, control of any
functions (recording et al) via MIDI notes

The idea: thus, you could use a keyboard (or better still, a MIDI bass
pedal) to select prerecorded loops sample-player-style, and then use
another
foot controller (or the bass pedal as well) to record loops on top of
this...

Just my $0.02...

                Rainer

Rainer Straschill