Re: Jimi

At 3:38 PM -0800 2/25/01, Kim Flint wrote:

>From my perspective, Hendrix is just another over-nostalgized baby
>boomer icon that I'm tired of hearing about...That was music of my
>parent's generation...Hendrix is just another guy in a documentary
>on the history channel, like say, Louis Armstrong. I listened to it
>music history education, and that was about it. That's probably true
>for most people under the age of 35, and those are the people mostly
>creating loop-based music...

Looks like you and I have this thing bracketed. I first heard Hendrix
play at a college mixer in 1964 (though he wasn't really "Jimi
Hendrix" yet). Then I saw him again do his Experience shtick in 1968.

This generational divide is an interesting thing. The youngsters
think the old folks' music is outdated and irrelevant and the
oldsters think the kids' music is simplistic and naive and suffers
from a lack of history. Same as it ever was.

But as my old friend Joker's granny used to say, "Don't worry, you're
youngyet [sic]." One thing I've discovered in my advanced age is: the
longer I stick around, the greater my historical perspective, and the
more relevance and "life" I find in art works and artists that I
previously thought of as relics.

I think it's interesting that most of the loopers are under 35, since
that means they weren't born yet when the seminal loop music was
being created.

Richard Zvonar, PhD                     zvonar@zvonar.com
(818) 788-2202 voice                    zvonar@LCSaudio.com
(818) 788-2203 fax                      zvonar@well.com