moving loop boundaries/ a tale

I had a lot of fun with this technique using dinosaur
Atari ST's and Notator software. Other
hardware/software could easily do the same thing. It
applies to midi loops, and probably only to home
studio circumstances.

1  record a linear piece, pretty short, copy it a few
times so it is already a kind of loop

2  set the Cycle parameters so the piece cycles
between for example (start of ) bar 1 and bar 9

3  run the midi out to a second Atari or some other
midi recorder.

4  while the master plays to the slave, shift the
boundaries of the cycle in real time, so figuritively
speaking;

"the fat brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog"

could become

"the fat the fat the fat brown fox
the fat brown fox jumped fox jumped fox jumped
fox jumped over fox jumped over
over over the lazy black dog
lazy black dog black dog black dog
dog the fat dog the fat"  ...etc

can you dig it?

    maybe modern computers with 2 programs running at
once could handle this internally.

I read somewhere a story in which the philosopher was
talking to the king about repetition.

PH: If I now say there is a lion in the
     courtyard, what would Your Majesty think?
K:  I would not believe it.
PH: And if a guard should then say there is a lion  in

   the courtyard?
K:  I would doubt it.
Ph: And if a third person were to say the same?
K:  I would think there might be a lion in the
    courtyard.

So if you have a message, "drum it in."
                                     John