Re: Repeater concepts

At 7:31 AM -0800 2/25/01, Rainer Straschill wrote:

>2. MIDI control
>
>The concept for MIDI control as outlined in the 0.8 version is in my eyes
>little bit unflexible. 1) you can't use program change messages to control
>the Repeater. Doing so would allow a user using say the simple Boss FC-50
>foot controller to use the program change buttons to select tracks and
>then
>use the externally controlled footswitches (sending CCs) to
>start/stop/record/whatever.

doing that also violates the midi standard!

Also, it means that electrix would then be stuck with never being able to
implement presets in their device because program change messages are then
used for something else. This is the same dillema we faced with the
echoplex. Should we implement presets, or should we support crappy midi
pedals in some ridiculously limited fashion? In the end, we decided that
presets were too important a feature to give up, and trying to do
everything with program change messages was impossible.

Some of you need to face the fact that the simple-minded midi pedals
designed for changing a multi-effect preset on one midi channel cannot
control sophisticated devices. Give in and buy a real midi controller....

>And MIDI note messages: again, based on the track concept mentioned above,
>MIDI note on/off messages could be configured to load/play a certain track
>in a defined track position in your running loop. I.e. MIDI notes 1-32
>would
>load tracks 1-32 into the first track in the loop, and so on with the
>remaining MIDI notes for the remaining tracks in the loop. Configurable,
>MIDI note on to start, MIDI note off to stop the track, or MIDI note on
>as a
>on/off toggle. MIDI velocity (or polyphonic aftertouch) could control the
>volume level for the corresponding track.  And, of course, control of any
>functions (recording et al) via MIDI notes
>
>The idea: thus, you could use a keyboard (or better still, a MIDI bass
>pedal) to select prerecorded loops sample-player-style, and then use
>another
>foot controller (or the bass pedal as well) to record loops on top of
>this...

FWIW, this is basically what the echoplex's loop triggering and
samplerstyle features let you do, minus the multiple tracks.

kim