Re: Line6 DL4

>From: rich <rich@nuvisionsca.com>
>To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
>Subject: Re: Line6 DL4
>Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:45:13 -0800
>

>Thanks for your comments on the DL4...i will second his kudos to L6's
>support department...they swapped out my DL4 real quick, too and
>trusted me to mail back my original.

Hey, that's pretty cool. So I am not all alone with recving "Good" CS.

>I am too fascinated by the DL4 and it's straightforward simplicity,
>but lately have been increasingly frustrated in real-time situations.
>How are you guys dealing with this?  For example.  If i'm in loop
>mode, and i set the expression pedal to control the mix...fine...now
>what if i catch a loop, bring back the mix a bit to drop the loop
>down in volume...then bend down...turn up the pre-delay to bring in a
>wash.  If i touch that expression pedal, now...the predelay is going
>to be effected by that move...somehow...it all depends on "where that
>pedal was when you moved which knob".

Hmmmm.....y'know I set mine so the pedal controls both loop volume and
predelay time (and rate). Then I leave it alone. Pedal down...little or no
delay with no repeats and maybe a bit of modulation...but the volume down
(if not off). Watching Steve Lawson really opened my ears to "playing" the
volume of the loop.
Pedal up: delay and repeats....maybe the same mod rate on the echoes, and
volume cranked.
Then I toggle between those and don't screw with the dials in performance.
Not that I don't wanna screw with those little screwable dials..it's just
too much memory strain tryin' to figure out where I am.  I think it's best
to set up a couple of sounds and then work with those.

>It's worse in delay mode.  As soon as you touch any knobs...you're
>pretty much #*%!!&*'ed, are you not?  then you can't really touch the
>expression pedal, or it starts manifesting any changes you made to
>the knobs.  Also, what if you bring up a delay preset, but then need
>to change the tap tempo...shit, we've gone over this before...

>Furthermore...switching delay patches is wierd.  Let's say i have a
>multi-head delay going, and i want to fade the mix out, then bring in
>a reverse delay, as soon as i turn the model knob...i get sound!

try putting some of your most favorite and usable delay sounds into the
memory programs...yes, I know there's only three! It will remember the
pedal
positions as part of that program too. Use the pedal to toggle 'tween
different sounds of a single delay model, and the footswitches to change
programs.....messing with the dials in a performance situation can be
nightmarish (unless that hanging-by-a- thread,
flying-by-the-seat-of-yer-pants element of danger is yer thing...and I
would
personally like to thank Mr. Torn for inspiring that in my playing). With
only three memory locations, you're gonna have to learn how to program
this
puppy well. I am always changing what I have in those slots dependent upon
what my set might be, how I feel, or if I might wish the fx to "inspire" a
type of improvisation or performance.

>I have been enjoying it more as a tabletop delay modeler for
>recording than anything else, lately...but then, i've been just
>recording more than playing live, lately.  which brings up another
>question...the DL4's inputs are very sensitive and it is easy to clip

the DL4 is designed like a stompbox. The inputs are designed for
instrument
level.....they don't like line level signals much (like from an aux send).
You can use it this way, but in my experience the results are not optimum
(but, again, I accidentally stumbled into a glorious wailing noise by
doing
this). Watch the output lvl of yer send and keep it down...way down.

>If i'm using it in the fx loop of my mixer, should i run the fx send
>all the way up, then use some sort of level switcher to bring it down
>to passive level, then into the DL4, then back to a couple of input
>channels?  Or should i just barely turn up the fx send in order to
>keep from clipping, then bring back the output from the DL4 to the fx
>returns (this is the way i've been doing it lately, with
>semi-satisfactory results...can't seem to get a real full delay sound)

I haven't tried using a "buffer" at the aux send....interesting idea, tho.
Yea, your delay sound will be "challenged" running it in an aux/fx loop.
Does your mixer have a rtn lvl? If not, try returning the DL4 to an open
channel of the mixer. Run the DL4's output up (to get full treatment) and
then ride it at the channel fader. Remember to not send any of this signal
back into the same aux/fx send....unles you like that kinda thing.
.....looping all the way, Max