MiniDisk & EQ - was Re: Loop Recording and Loading

I've read a bit about non-audible frequencies and their contribution to
audible frequencies through inter-modulation... It's interesting to ponder
the ramifications of this stuff and I'm sure engineers (audio and
otherwise) can debate endlessly on the subject.

I can state without hesitation that in fairly nice studio type
environments, my mini-disc player has yet to offend my ears. I just don't
HEAR the difference... although I can understand the various concerns
about that difference. It's just not a problem for me... (And I'm glad
because it's tiny, affordable, random access, editable... it's amazing...
there's nothing else like it out there. I'll switch when there's portable
cd-rw recorders costing ~$200 bucks... (or
ultra-reliable-super-powerful-but-cheap laptops available). Til then...
It's mini-disc all the way baby!

-Miko

>>> dakshah@yahoo.com 03/13/01 01:15PM >>>
I've looked at MDs, but have wondered how the lossy
compression & EQ would get along.  My understanding is
that Sony's algorithm removes 'unheard' frequencies,
these frequencies being unheard due to a
psychoacoustic phenomenon called masking
(http://www.minidisc.org/MaskingPaper.html)

So if these frequencies are not present on the MD
after recording, wouldn't the effectiveness of
subsequent EQ (say, on a mixer) be hampered by the
lack of these frequencies?

Stephen

--- Mike Biffle <Mbiffle@svg.com> wrote:
> It uses a compression algorythm which is a "lossy"
> process... that means it removes small bits of
> data... leaving the mini-disc sound quality at
> slightly lower than cd (but miles beyond cassette
> tape). I've never noticed it myself... It smokes!

=====
Stephen