Re: feedback part2 the microphone checker strikes back

You make it sound so lonely! Seriously, there are lots of people out there
who share your musical interests. You could probably fill a large city
with
us. We're just spread out, that's all.

Check out these artists

N.U. Unruh - he's a former member of Einsturzende Neubauten. He just put
out
a gold-colored CD this year of music made entirely from the sound of
office
machines like dot matrix printers, phones, fax machines, and the like.

Steve Rodan - I just got a CD of his called "View". The idea of this was
musically represent the view out the window of a certain art gallery. He
placed microphones near the window on four different days, and drastically
altered the results to create new music. Here's an interesting little
tidbit
- on some of the days, the recordings were made with the windows closed.
Rodan even came up with the term "lowercase sound" to describe music
involving many of the quieter elements you described. There is a
'lowercase'
email forum somewhere in Yahoo Groups.

Philip Jeck - I have a CD of his called "Vinyl Coda I-III". Basically he
creates compositions using up to 150 turntables. He uses glue to make
locked
grooves, so the music is very loopy. It focuses as much on the clicks and
pops of vinyl as the actual sound on the discs.

www.mp3.com/field_recordings - haha, I had to plug it here. I built this
page for musicians creating entirely from field recordings and
natural/urban
sounds. Anybody can contribute a piece - the rules are posted on the page.
Sometime in the next week, I'll be building an mp3.com radio station for
the
genre also.

That's all I can think of at this particular moment, while I'm at work. I
can offer more upon request.

Matt Davignon