Using two computers/MIDI

I have a server with an Live/Drive, and another workstation for hd
recording, with 2 sound cards, 1 another live, and the other a Audiophile
24/96 for recording. I want to hook up my controller to the midi in on the
server, then from the MIDI out to the MIDI IN on the 24/96 (to synchronize
everything)... but the signal doesn't seem to be passing through. I read
about some MIDI equipment having  MIDI IN/OUT/THROUGH but also read that
the
MIDI out on a computer acts as both an OUT/THRU port, so I don't understand
why this isn't working... please help me understand!

thnx!
-pb