RE: Weird Question

Not quite what you were looking for, but something similar with vocals;
check out Sheila Chandra on the Realworld label...

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Clark [mailto:mcl451@airmail.net]
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 07:32 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Weird Question

Hi,

I was eating in a 'Hinduish" style restaurant recently.

They were playing a piece of music that was sort of a combination of Asian
and Middle Eastern in scale and instrumentation.  The melody flowed nicely
over the top of what was essentially a one chord loop with various
instruments playing the notes (and extended notes) of the chord.  Nice
melody on top.

I asked the manager who the group/artist was.  She didn't know.  The music
was on a tape made by a friend of the owner.

I know this a real long shot, but I wonder if anyone might have an idea of
a group or artist who plays this style of music?   Middle Eastern scales
with looping chordal background.  The piece was contemporary sounding.
Sort of like a B-Tribe from the Middle East.

Thanks!

Michael