Electrix (NOT Repeater) question

Hi,

So on a whim I ordered an Electrix FilterQueen and now I have a quick
question for anyone who has one of these.  Is it usual for this unit to
be VERY noisy?  When the FQ is plugged and engaged it adds a level of
hiss that is VERY noticeable.  When you hit the momentary bypass of the
filter, the hiss level drops of dramatically.  The settings on the face
plate don't seem to alter the level or type of hiss at all so I was
wondering if this is some sort of defect or if its just the way such a
filter unit behaves.

Thanks in advance for any help

Kevin