Re: Kyma question for Dennis Leas....

Hi John,

> Are you still using just the base Kyma system to
> come up with all of your looping patches?

Most of them are a combination of standard Kyma algorithms and algorithms
from my Looper Construction Kit.  I'm using a standard (unexpanded)
Capybara
320 with 4 DSPs.  It doesn't take a lot of the DSP horsepower to do stuff.
For example, running two of my Fragmenters consumes 1/2 of one DSP.

FYI, here's one line descriptions of my LCK prototype Sounds (aka
algorithms).  The descriptions are very terse and intended for people who
speak Kyma as a second language but you (and fellow LD members) might find
them interesting.  This list will be changing but it's fairly current.
BiFuncKey - Decodes a MIDI key press to provide two control functions from
single key
ClearWavetable - Quickly clear a wavetable in Capybara RAM
DupSamples - Duplicate part of a wavetable into another part of the same
wavetable when triggered
EDPButton - Sends MIDI commands to an Echoplex Digital Pro to simulate
pressing front panel buttons.  Permits the Capybara to control the
Echoplex.
EventStateMachine - Implements a finite state machine driven by Event
Values
GetLoopPoints - Reads the loop starting and ending points (LoopStart and
LoopEnd) from a looping wavetable
MasterLooper - This looper records and loops the Input signal and generates
an end-of-loop Event
OverdubLoop - When triggered, playbacks an existing looping wavetable,
optionally adds a new signal to the wavetable, and signals the end of the
loop
PlayLoop - Plays a looping wavetable when triggered and signals the end of
the playback
RecordLoop - Records Input into a looping wavetable while Gate is true
RecordSyncLoop - Records a looping wavetable while gate is true; with
synchronization features
SelfLoop - Plays a looping wavetable when triggered and signals the end of
the playback; with self-looping and synchronization features
SetLoopPoints - Sets the loop starting and ending points in a looping
wavetable
SimpleLooper - This looper records and loops the Input signal
SlaveLooper - This looper records and loops the Input signal in sync with
the SlaveSync
SyncGateEvent - Quantizes the Gate's changes to the Sync signal
SyncTriggerEvent - Quantizes the Trigger's leading edge to the Sync signal
SyncTriggerSound - Quantizes the Trigger's leading edge to the Sync signal
ZeroCrossingAdjust - Adjust LoopStart and LoopEnd points in a looping
wavetable for looping at a zero-crossing point
ZeroCrossingGate - Synchronizes Gate with zero-crossing point of Input

> Also, what would be the closest Eventide equivilent
> to a base Kyma system? Is it as powerful as the
> Orville? If not, how many expansion cards does it take
> to get there?

It's hard to compare.  The Orville is definitely the closest Eventide box.
In terms of horsepower, I'd say a basic Kyma system is more powerful since
you have more clock cycles and DSPs available.  The biggest difference is
that a Kyma system requires a host computer (Windows or Mac) attached at
all
times.  For some customers this is a disadvantage.  One the other hand,
Kyma
always has a keyboard, screen, and hard drive to use.  Although I've never
used an Orville, I believe it's probably easier to use than a Kyma system
and certainly easier to learn..  But that also means it's considerably less
flexible.

Here's another way to compare the two.  Say that I have both units.  Given
function that both perform identically (say EQ), I'd probably choose an
Orville.  I could probably set it up quicker.  But the Kyma does a lot of
things that the Orville does not.  If I had to choose one unit, I wanted
maximum flexibility, and I could wait one to three months learning how to
use it, then I'd choose a Kyma system hands down.

When I was trying to decide whether to buy a Kyma system, I ordered the
manual from Symbolic Sound.  It's quite a comprehensive manual (Kyma-ites
call it the "phone book") and helped me to decide.  Recommended!

BTW, the May 2001 issue of Electronic Musician has a review of Kyma.  You
might find it good reading.

> I realize that comparing the two can be difficult.
> Just pretend that I'm holding a loaded gun to the
> head of a struggling capybara!

Careful!  Those things bite!  :)

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com