Re: turntable instrument?

Here are some thoughts that just came to mind:

No one really cares anymore who is a real muscian or a non-musician or
entertainer or faker or Real vs. Fraud.

& the fact that we are in this dialog shows that it is a safe bet that it
originated by folks born before 1970...just 1/2 kidding here...but after
reading these posts, i'm surprised that some of the so called "old heads"
on LD are infinitely and eternally "younger" it seems than one might
imagine than some of their own  contemporaries.

& I do think music is today more marginalized and taken for granted now
than any other time before in our history ( ironic as the delivery and
technical capacity for the making and listening to of music is more
advanced and better than ever, but thats another dialog-debate )

But to me, Music has always been to me a colorful - communicating food
with flavors, languages, nuances and recipees and concoctions which have
spanned time(s) as well as preceding our own individual consciousness to
some degrees ( damn the older i get the hokier-new ageier i sound ), but
music is and has always been with us as it always there for us to embrace
in one way/form or another, ya knw?

And this is clearly more of an old skool vs. new skool mentality where its
more of a reflection of what the death of rock n roll and layers of the
baby boomer rock n roll mentality means en masse and in niche circles to
certain and various old skool heads means where for them music it seems
that in general, music is and always has been expressed as more of a sport
(once again that is IMHO) where to these guys whther on the Beavis and
Butthead level or in the intellectual astute realms of Academic and High
Critical thinking, their ideas of good and "music" or the musician are the
only valid ideas as they can and will always see things based upon what
they have seen or have been shown to be true.

& it seems to these eyes and ears certain old skoolers or "old
mentalities" are using music or the so called "flag" of music as a means
to voice a need for personal validation that furthermore demands to be
right and reveal the so called "truth" versus a "Fallacious" and annoying
insurgency into their world of self/assigned/annointed validity...all that
based upon their own notion of the artist as an artiste of desirable
pedigree meaning the so called artiste did in fact write what they know
and recognize, "produce it" and "perform it" using their own instrumentds
to really be valid.

but aint it funny how the "new skool" is clearly writing its music and
producing its own music and performing its own music( though not all of
them or a lot of them and right now only a handful of them are actually
taking the lead in doing so, but they are still nonetheless doing it...
and thats never enough of them IMHO) in a way that is perhaps communicated
in a language which the old guard/old mentalities perceive as "crude" at
best, when it is uequivocally musical and full of potential for
musicianship to be expressed just as what the old skool ( whatever that
may be ) holds as valid does...

& yeah, folks gotta get out more and not necessarily trade in their model
T's but make an attempt to understand the new skool without the judgements
and weight they tend to place on things whenever old skoolers and young
initiates bring their personal perspective to tht which is outside their
common or usual experience(S).

I would love to and am personally dyin to work with a DJ(s) who has the
ability to thow it out mix it up and take the room higher using skills,
science and moreover using their musicality which they clearly can and do
posses

anyways, I dont begrudge the DJ's who do just match bpms as I likewise
dont really see too many so called "real musicians" with much incentive or
initiative displayed in taking the path that leads to their ultimate -
maximum musical potential to be actualized.

but there is no "law" or axiom or litmus test you can steadfastly apply to
an individual(S) to prove or disprove they are muscians...is there? :)

& also consider Can a person who bakes a microwave dinner each nite for
their own personal dinner on a daily basis call themselves a "chef" as
opposed to the person who is trained in the "culinary arts" who makes and
or even grows their own food from scratch as well as having been
recognized by a body of their own peers and or various or certain
"culinary academics", to be credible enough to be certified and assigned
the staus of chef? & Who really cares ?

That is unless of course your in the business of letting your
certifications speak for you...which is not about music but all about you.

But IMHO it all depends on more of your intentions and needs are and how
you choose to live and listen (eat), cook and then hear (or setup the
digestion of your food ) or how well you communicate the stuff that is
compelling you to keep coming back to the process you use or choose to
communicate and cook thru.

& I do love cooking, but i love to talk and listen and i also like to tell
stories and i love to listen and hear other peoples stories unfold even
more than i like telling tales, but i dont need to have stories read to me
outta a book ( i can get them in many formats ) and i dont necessarilly
need my stories to have words or even any discernable music that a so
called musician/turntablist/non-musician plays to hear the music inherent
in something.

and of course i get "gas", hehehehe! but it all derrives from "food" which
is still "food" in the end, right?
(good and bad is a different story but food is food)

but consider that it is such a narrow and uncreative thing to do to try &
narrow the definition of musicality and receiving music(s) into very
specific and personally discernable parameters, n'est pas and to what
purpose?

But again the answers to the above are dependent upon how and what you
need to be true.

but if ya dig deeper, music needs a lot less of a consructed "us" to exist
than it does need our bodies, our ears and hearts, souls to flesh out
resonance and perhaps emerge a reconstructed "us".

& I may be wrong here but music is a lot more mecurial and more elusive
and paradoxical than any of us can describe or even attempt to define ( it
is like trying to definitively define god to go & try to define music..i
saw that debate here approx 2 years ago :).

but music does need to be listened to and heard by whomever is there to
bear witness to it more so than it needs to be judged or merited by any of
us IMHO.

Regards,
John Price/AKASH
"Remember to always kill youe expectations"
www.akashmusic.com