Re: What the heck is Behringer doing?

At 10:23 PM +0200 6/10/01, Martin Tauchen wrote:

>If we trace it really strict and puristic,the whole digital Music products
>were ripped off from Standford University.FM Synthesis was developed
>there in the seventies,a first commercial product-the DX7 was
>released in 1983.
>The same for phyical Modelling.Developed in the early eighties and
>manifested as consumertool in 1993 -again Yamaha with VL1.

Not ripped off in these cases. Yamaha has a long-standing set of
licensing agreements with Stanford, dating to John Chowning's 1975
linear FM patent. Physical modeling was similarly licensed from
Stanford.

I'm not aware of any claims against Yamaha of infringement. In fact,
my impression of the company is generally positive. They have a good
reputation for supporting research and education, and I've personally
found them (and by this I mean the individuals I've dealt with) to be
cordial and even generous.

In contrast, I have no such warm and fuzzy feelings for the rippers
of the world, such as Behringer and Fernandes.

That isn't to say there aren't problems. When Yamaha secured patents
on linear FM applications to musical instrument design, this meant
that other manufacturers were obliged to either pay them licensing
fees or cease to use the technique in their own instruments. Some
smaller manufacturers, such as Buchla, had already been using FM, but
didn't think to apply for a patent.

Another case that I have problems with is Coda's patents on
interactive computer music and score following. They struck a deal
with Roger Dannenberg, who had the foresight to secure a patent in
1985, and Coda insisted that their patents applied to all score
following algorithms. Other researchers who had independently arrived
at score following were in theory obliged to pay Coda for a license.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com