Re: Requests for info

At 4:01 PM +0000 7/11/01, Brian Parker wrote:
>I joined the LD mailing list to discuss looping...All i want is new
>perspectives on making phat loops from vinyl samples, and share what
>i know.

That's a pretty wide open subject, and much depends on whether you
intend to create the loops in advance and then play them back live,
or whether you want to grab loops on the fly, during the performance.

Much also depends on your equipment. A good place to start might be
to describe what you are using and how you have it hooked up, as well
as what range of music you are mixing.

If you're doing primarily dance music, and you want your loops to be
strictly synchronous with the beat, that presents one set of problems
and opportunities. If you're doing ambient soundscapes, that presents
another set.

Some of the issues are equipment issues, particularly if you need to
establish and maintain tight sync between your CD and/or vinyl
playback and your loops. Other issues arise from the way your
equipment is interconnected. For instance, are you using dedicated DJ
mixer, or do you have more routing and mixing flexibility? What
signal processing are you using?

I'm a big fan of combining both parallel and serial processing, and I
like to use a mixer with a lot of auxiliary sends so that I can
change the routing at will. For instance, if you have just two
processors - a looping device and a multieffects processor - and a
small mixer you could patch the aux sends to the inputs of the two
devices and patch their outputs back to mixer inputs and then run
looper||FX, or looper>FX, or FX>looper.

Is that the sort of information you're after?

>However I do find that whole 'dj' topic a tad bit old and dry.

It is.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com