Re: "I am smoking in a room"

At 10:09 AM -0500 7/17/01, Dennis Leas wrote:
>So the EDP's output is split.  It goes to the SPX-90's input and to the
>EDP's input.  The EDP's input is a mix of the EDP's output and the
>SPX-90's
>output (and the initial signal, of course).
>[...] You've got to kind of "fly" the controls to
>prevent the feedback from growing out of control.

One of my favorite sounds ever came from a very similar setup, but
using two SPX-90's instead of one EDP and one SPX. I'd put both of
them into stereo pitch mode, with long but uncorrelated delay times,
then "play" the aux sends which cross-connected the SPX's to each
other, while stepping the pitch ratios up and down.

Although harmonizer feedback can be a DSP cliche, there was something
about the crummy SPX algorithms which made this variation unusually
musical. I was never able to get quite the same quality out of an
H3000 or anything else. The violinist in my old Janus Ensemble would
always say "ohhhh, the elves are back...." This sound was featured on
a Janus track called Texture Maps, although if anyone has ever heard
that I will be so amazed that I'd offer a prize.

-Alex Stahl