Re: DON'T TRUST THE SOUND MAN

Yikes!

Lumpy Gravy was as I was told notorious for this happening: Sound Man works briefly with you on your setup and even agrees to record to your DAT during the show, all sounds fine during sound check, get back for the gig and it all sounds different, no time to check with the guy who's not there, and noone records the gig as well.  Phooey on that place, even if it is named after a Zappa album, and presented itself as a nice venue.

Stephen Goodman
http://www.earthlight.net/Gallery_Front.html - Cartoons & Illustrations
http://www.earthlight.net/Studios * The free Loop of the Week!
http://www.live365.com/stations/218194 * EarthLight Online / Live!

just got in from my gig opening for SUGAR DADDY AND THE BIG BONED
GALS.....went in 2 hours early for a sound check....."we supply all the
speakers etc.".....the sound guy took all my inputs and rearranged them in my
mixer and sent it out to his console.....for about 2 mins this sounded ok
(total sound check) but i was worried and not quite happy.....i am not a
great or even good player, but i do pride myself in "my sound".....WELL, 8:00
o'clock comes and the first note i hit sounds like *shit* and i begin to get
worried.....this is nothing like what we had set up and his configuration
totally freaked me, things were not where they should have been.....where was
the sound guy, NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.....yikes, the show must go on and no one
wants to see a 53 year old man cry, although i was sweating like a pig in the
sahara, so thankfully they could not see my tears.....IT WAS AWFUL, i had no
control of anything, boy does that make you feel like being
adventuresome.....then after cutting it about 10 mins. short everyone comes
up and says "wow that was cool " and LIES to that effect.....thankfully the
WILD TURKEY (sorry no scotch) kicked in and i did not burn my guitar and
rang.....i will never play through someone elses system again.....in fact,
this solo thing is getting to weird, i need other warm bodies to help the
tunes out.....sorry for such a goofy post but if i cant share this with you
all who can i share it with.....:(m