Re: OT: why musicians can't eat -- and why radio is so bad

Duh.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but if anyone for a moment didn't realize this is
how
the "biz" works, they are not paying attention.  It peaks at the
radio/retail
level, but this behavior starts when club owners make artists pay to
entertain their clients.  I refuse to play in any venue that has ANY
charge.
For a short time I allowed my band to be forced to rent PA gear that clubs
claimed they did not own.  They claimed that they had contracts with PA
owners in which they allowed the clubs to use their gear for free, but the
catch was the bands were forced to "rent" this gear and pay an engineer.
Mostly, the engineer SUCKED, but we've been through that one already.  I
told
the booking people that I did not need any additional amplification and
would
be happy to go sans PA, but was told we'd have to pay anyway.  That was the
deal.

This is where the rape starts.  It's the fondling phase.  If you stick
around, eventually you're getting it full force from behind.

This is why I feel that it is very important to put your stuff on the web
for
free.  I've had the idea that groups of non pro musicians should supply
area
DJs with material in return for mention on promo lit.  USE the internet and
word of mouth to promote yourself.  Screw RADIO and record companies.
They're already dead but don't know it.  This is why record companies are
really afraid of Napster.  It's something that they can't control.  The
reason radio sounds like it does is because lawyers are choosing your
music.
If enough people can start finding music that they enjoy on the internet,
eventually demand of good music will force record companies to change or
die.  When promotion is almost free, there is no longer a need for a
"gatekeeper."  I have faith that people can make their own choices.

Fight.

Mark Sottilaro