Re: reaching folks

Miko...
** i think that the biggest boon that the internet holds for the
"creative" musician is the opportunity to network with other like-minded
folk, plan and book gig or rehearsal activities for projects, or research
other like-minded folks' music, etc.

stig
>> i'm not really convinced that it holds much more for us than would a
>record store in terms of reaching people who haven't heard what it is we
>*do* - - people who don't already have experience with experimental music
>(or what ever you wanna call it). i say this because people have to WANT
>to find something and actively search it out - - and i'm not really sure
>how that's gonna happen unless they're already interested. if someone
>could explain why i'm wrong about this, it would help me to be more
>optimistic about the 'net as the "salvation" of "creative" music.

I think my comment regarding the net was that I as a musician am able to
conspire with people around the world about venues, schedules, etc. I
would never have met most of you had I not found you here. This has
greatly increased my chances of working among a real 'community' rather
than feeling that I have no kindred spirits out there. My personal
experience is that I've been VERY positively encouraged that what I do
means something. I'm extremely grateful for this... (another thanks to Kim
as well!)

For the average music-seeking public, (and myself)... Access to MP3 and
Real Audio has really helped me to sample before I buy. I know there are
listening kiosks at most major retailers now, but the range you can find
on the internet is so much greater. Hell... I can listen to a large number
of our own members! Over on Live365 there's loads of experimental radion
stations... as well as CryptoRadio... which is a label you're on if I'm
not mistaken? (I know there's many of your cohorts there...)

> No, I think you're right--but people get to make up their own minds--
>The question is how to reach folks without going door to door--seems like
>the 'net is just the ticket. Gary

Ditto... It may not grow you as fast as having a distribution deal, but
the community is priceless.

Best,
-Miko