RE: reaching folks

>From: "Mike Biffle" <Mike.Biffle@asml.com>
>
>Miko > For the average music-seeking public, (and myself)... Access to
>MP3
>and Real Audio has really helped me to sample before I buy. I know there
>are listening kiosks at most major retailers now, but the range you can
>find on the internet is so much greater. Hell... I can listen to a large
>number of our own members! Over on Live365 there's loads of experimental
>radion stations...

Um, yeah. If you go to live365 you can pull up about 100 of 'em (at least
that's how many came up last time I looked). I got pretty disappointed to
find that the vast majority were actually techno stations, rock stations
(one listed Dave Matthews Band), and industrial/goth stations. Out of the
10
or so that were actually experimental stations, most of those were pretty
heavy on the Merzbow-type material, which isn't bad, but not what I dig.
There are a few good ones, and I'm working on making one of my own too.

There are 3 problems I have with streaming radio:

1) It seems to be pretty hard to get background information when you're on
live365.com. You get about 1 sentence describing the station, and it's not
often that you can manage to find the station host's web page (if one
exists). So.... how does one get to find out who does what song?

2) The times that I want to hear new music are not times when streaming
radio is available. I know. I should probably figure out a way to wire my
computer to the living room speakers or something, but every time I'm in
my
room with free time, I'm usually doing something with sound. Go figure.

Although... one streaming radio site was striking a deal with Panasonic
(or
was it Pioneer) to manufacture boombox stereos with streaming radio
capability.... rad!

3) Finding good music online is surprisingly hard! I figured when I got my
computer, I wouldn't need to buy CD's as much, since I could find free
music
from online artists who wanted to be heard... but there's a lot to sift
through, and I have yet to find a good website that specifically